- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine grain salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pure maple syrup
- (Optional) Assorted toppings: pure maple syrup, butter, peanut butter, Nutella, banana slices, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, etc.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the unbleached all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk to incorporate all the ingredients together.
In a separate bowl, beat together the milk, pumpkin puree, egg, applesauce, and vinegar until homogeneous.
Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the liquid mixture into the indentation. Gently stir together with a wooden spoon just until combined and no dry spots remain, but do not overmix.
Pour the pancake batter, about ½ cup per pancake, onto a pre-heated griddle or pan coated with nonstick spray (I use canola oil). Sprinkle each pancake with the desired amount of chocolate chips. Allow the pancakes to cook for 2 ½ to 4 minutes until the bottom starts to brown and the edges are dry. Flip and cook 2 ½ to 4 minutes more until brown and cooked through. Adjust the heat as necessary to ensure even cooking.
Serve immediately with pure maple syrup and assorted toppings.